October 29, 2011

The Leap

I stood there, toes barely hanging over the edge, breathing so fast, heart racing, palms sweating, mind frozen with fear, staring down 200 feet to the river rushing below. Could I jump, would I jump? I inched forward, though almost paralyzed by the fear. No I couldn't do it! I just couldn't! It was too much. I almost tried to push backwards, but he stood behind me, urging me forward. It just wasn't in me to jump, but it was too late...
I'd gone too far; there was no going back now. I leaned imperceptibly forward, urging myself to make the leap. And then, almost without even realizing it, I fell. A blood curdling scream escaped my lips as my body hurled, flailing through thin air to depths below. I was blinded by terror.

And then about half way down reason returned, the screams stopped and I watched as I dropped the rest of the way, almost to the river below. The bungee cord reached its end and after bouncing a bit more I was hoisted back up to the bridge spanning the river below. I reached the top thrilled by the adrenaline rush and excited that I'd made the leap.

You might be able to watch a video of me bungee jumping here.

160 ft. bungee jump drop - Whistler, BC

Suited up and ready to go

Not so sure about this...

Ahhhhhhhhh

We did it!

1 comment:

  1. Scares me just thinking about it. Well, now you can say you've done it -- want to go again?? ;p

    ReplyDelete